The beginner’s guide to contact lenses
While both contact lenses and glasses are great ways to correct your vision, many people prefer contact lenses due to their convenience, price and comfort. If you are considering switching to contact lenses or need to start wearing contact lenses, this beginner’s guide to contact lenses is a good start.
We will explore the benefits of wearing contact lenses, how to safely put in and clean your contact lenses, as well as general tips to ensure safe contact lens use.
Benefits of wearing contact lenses
Not everyone who needs glasses wants to wear contacts, but 9 out of 10 people who want to wear them, are able to wear contacts. Here are some benefits of contact lenses:
• Improved appearance.
• Improved visual field or peripheral view.
• Less distortions.
• Improved comfort to wear.
• Improved sports performance.
• Improved confidence.
Who cannot wear contact lenses?
Although most people can wear contact lenses safely and comfortably, contact lenses may not be a good option for people who:
• Have had repeated eye infections.
• Suffer from severe allergic reactions.
• Have problems with eye lubrication.
• Are exposed to large amounts of dust, dirt or smoke.
• Have a specific vision problem or need special lenses.
6 Steps to put in your contact lenses
If you’re new to wearing contact lenses, be sure to follow these 6 steps to put in your contact lenses safely and hygienically:
1. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water to get rid of dirt.
2. Place the lens on the tip of your finger.
3. Check the lens. It should be a regular semicircular shape with the edges facing upward (like a bowl).
4. Use your other hand to open your top eyelid and place the contact lens in your eye.
5. Blink your eye to adjust the contact lens.
6. Repeat with the other eye.
Watch this video to see the steps in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1UrPVARtu0
How to clean your contact lenses
If you are using reusable contact lenses, it is important to clean your contact lenses every time after removing them to avoid any eye infections.
1. Wash your hands with soap and water before touching your contact lenses.
2. Use fresh contact lens cleaning solution every time.
3. Rub your contact lenses with your fingers, and rinse them with fresh cleaning solution afterward.
4. Rinse your contact lens case with fresh solution and leave it overturned and open to dry.
3 Safety tips for contact lens use:
Here are a few tips to ensure clean, safe and comfortable contact lens wear:
1. Do not sleep in your lenses.
2. Avoid showering, swimming or going in hot tubs while wearing lenses.
3. Always be prepared with a back-up pair of glasses.
Book an appointment with us
Tomlinson Optometrists provides professional contact lens services, including the latest soft and specialty contact lens materials from the world's leading manufacturers, such as Cooper Vision, Bausch & Lomb, Alcon, Johnson & Johnson, Contact Lens Lab and InnoCon. We fit contact lenses for patients of all ages, from children to adults, giving you clear guidelines to ensure clean, safe and comfortable contact lens wear.
Get in touch with us on WhatsApp: https://bit.ly/TomlinsonOptometristsWhatsApp
Book an appointment online: https://bit.ly/tomlinsonbookinglink
Phone 021 797 7291, email email@example.com or visit us at 278B Main Road, Kenilworth.
Your contact lens contact.